What is Thesis Research Abroad?
This program allows you to spend a period abroad for thesis research or final exams.
Open to UniTrento students enrolled in the following Bachelor's and Master's degree programs: Laurea, Laurea Magistrale and Laurea Magistrale a Ciclo Unico.
You can go to any university or institution in the world which you must identify in agreement with the professor supervising your research activity. Among possible destinations, UniTrento students are remined that they will receive priority within the network of institutions belonging to ECIU University.
Mobilities in Ukraine and Russia are currently not possible.
Please note: mobility towards the following non-European partners is possible only for study purposes (courses attendance).
United States: University of Massachusetts Lowell, California State University
Canada: McMaster University, Sherbrooke University, Carleton University, University of Calgary
China: Shanghai University, Shanghai International Studies University
Japan: Nagasaki University
Australia: University of Adelaide, University of Melbourne, Macquarie University
At least 3 months.
Important note Opera Universitaria accommodation grantees: if you got your Opera Universitaria accommodation through the International Mobility Office, please note that you will have to leave your accommodation at the time of departure for the thesis research abroad and that you will not be eligible for another one in the future.
How to apply
To spend a period abroad for thesis research, you must first check that you meet the requirements indicated in the Final Exam Regulations of your degree program.
The application can be sumbitted on line through the active selection calls page.
You must submit the on-line application by the last day of each month. By the 15th of the following month the list of those eligible for a funding request will be published. Mobility will then be possible starting from 30 days after the monthly deadline. For example, with a monthly deadline of 31 October, mobility will be possible starting from 1 December. You must commit to graduating with your degree within six months after returning to Italy.
When submitting your online application you will need to:
- be regularly enrolled in a UniTrento degree program and plan the start of your mobility before 31 July of the first year beyond the normal duration of the program (the first year of exceeding the standard degree program period);
- demonstrate knowledge of the foreign language at a minimum level of B1 (to be self-certified in the online application); NB: the English entry test at level B1 for admission to the bachelor's degree (test di ingresso) is not a valid test.
- have acquired at least 144 ECTS if you are enrolled in a Bachelor's program, 240 ECTS if you are enrolled in a single-cycle Master's degree program, 78 ECTS if you are enrolled in a Master's program (except in cases where final exams are worth 30 or more CFUs, in which case the minimum CFUs acquired is 75), at least 60 ECTS if you are enrolled in the Master's degree in Physics.
Only for candidates of the master's degrees of the following departments whose internship is linked to the final thesis and plan to obtain the credits for internship during the mobility abroad (valid only for mobilities in a.y. 2022/23): :
- Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science: at least 54 ECTS
- Department of Cellular, Computational and Integrative Biology (CIBIO) and Department of Mathematics: at least 60 ECTS
The funding cannot be awarded to students who have already benefited from it for the same reason as part of another program within the same degree program. Furthermore, it cannot overlap with other grants assigned for the same purpose and the same period.
If you are enrolled in the Double Degree program: The city where the thesis research or final exam is located must be different from that of the double degree and the mobility for thesis research can only take place at the end of the exams provided for in the double degree program. You must also receive prior consent from your UniTrento tutor and the tutor at the partner university.
If you are enrolled in the joint EMBS European Master in Business Studies program you can apply for thesis or internship research mobility abroad also at destinations in countries provided for by the specific program. The same applies to double degree students and students from the following partner universities Shanghaj International Studies University (China), Vytautas Magnus University (Kaunas, Lithuania) and American University of Central Asia (Kyrgystan).
If you are enrolled in the EIT Digital Double Degree program as exit student (= second year) you are not eligible to apply to the present call.
|Flat Rate Amount (3 months)||ISEE Value (€)|
|€ 1.500||> 30.001|
|Flat Rate Amount (3 months)||ISEE Value (€)|
|€ 2.100||> 30.001|
For grants amount of mobility starting before the 1st of August 2021 please see the file in the download box
You should attach the following to your application:
- thesis research/ final examination project;
- letter of support from the thesis/ final exam supervisor (using the template available in the Download Box);
- letter of acceptance from the host institution where you will spend your mobility period (using the template available in the Download Box)