search for information or people
International opportunities for students

If you hold:

  • an Italian stay permit for work reasons (not a “stagionale” – temporary one), family, religious  and humanitarian reasons;
  • a student stay permit ONLY if you obtained an Italian bachelor degree and you want to enroll in a master’s course

you are considered a non European student living in Italy.

Important clarifications if you hold an Italian student residence permit

If you hold a student permit and you obtained such permit because you are enrolled in a University course, you are not allowed to withdraw from that University and enroll in another course (in the same University or in a different one) by using the same residence permit. You must instead withdraw from the first University, return to your home country, and complete a new pre-enrolment process (“pre-iscrizione”) for the new course you want to attend. You will then receive a new student visa from the Italian Embassy, and apply for a new student residence permit upon arrival in Italy. You are required to apply for the new course according to the procedure and the deadline pertaining to Non-Eu students living abroad.

These regulations do not apply to students who can complete a proper “trasferimento” to the second University or to those applying for a Master’s degree after having completed a Bachelor's degree in Italy or to those applying for a PhD programme after having completed a Master’s degree in Italy.

Example: You are currently enrolled in a Master's course in Sociology at the University of Pavia and you hold a student residence permit. You had arrived to Italy last year after having completed the pre-enrolment process at the Italian Embassy in your home country, and after having being granted a student visa. You are now interested in the Master’s course in European and International Studies offered by the University of Trento. Please note that you have to apply for the new Master’s course by the deadline pertaining to Non-Eu citizens living abroad, since you are not allowed to simply withdraw from the current course in Pavia and enroll in the course at the University of Trento. You will have to withdraw from the course in Pavia, go back to your home country, apply again for both pre-enrolment (in the Master’s course in European and International Studies offered at the University of Trento) and for a student visa.

Note that applications and deadlines are different according to free or limited access to the study course.

For the following limited access courses

  • Cognitive Science
  • European and International studies
  • MAIN - Innovation Management
  • MEC - Economics
  • MIM - International Management
  • Cellular and Molecular Biotechnology
  • Quantitative and Computational Biology
  • Human-Computer Interaction
  • International Security Studies
  • Energy Engineering (selection process managed by the Libera Università di Bolzano in the a.y. 2016/2017 and 2017/2018)

applications must be made online by the deadline.

For the following free accesss courses (unlimited number of admitted students)

  • Computer Science
  • Mathematics
  • Materials and Production Engineering
  • Mechatronics Engineering
  • Physics
  • Information and Communication Engineering
  • Sociology and Social Research

you have to refer to the Students Support Office in order to submit your educational documents for the admission application. 
The Admissions Committee will evaluate yours based on your proficiency andacademic curriculum.


In either case, by the end of October you have to upload all the following documents in the online application.

  • copy of your passport
  • copy of your stay permit/receipts of application of the Italian stay permit;
  • original of the University degree or educational qualification, legalized* (or with Apostille stamp if applicable) by the Authority of the country which issued the certification, and officially translated in Italian;
  • **declaration of value of the University issued by the Italian diplomatic Representation where the diploma was issued;
  • **transcript of records, either in the original English version or officially translated in Italian.


​​*NOTE: Diplomas issued in the following countries are exempted from legalization: Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland.

**NOTE: The Declaration of Value and the transcript of records are not required if you have a Diploma Supplement for the BA/BSc. The Diploma Supplement must be issued (according to the EC, Europe Council and Unesco rules) by the University based in one of the countries which adhered to the European Higher Education Area.