Who can apply?
UniTrento students enrolled in the 2nd year of the single-cycle master's degree course in Law:
- with at least 5 out of the 7 fundamental 1st year's exams passed (the 6th exam has to be passed by July before departure);
- with at least 42 registered credits in career with a weighted average of at least 26/30;
- with knowledge of English at C1 level, equivalent to: TOEFL with a score of at least 90 or IELTS Academic module with a minimum score of 7,0 (correspondence table in the Useful Links).
WUSTL ranks among the best 20 American universities.
The agreement provides for the possibility for UniTrento students to obtain, at the end of two semesters of mobility at WUSTL at a reduced rate, also the American title of LLM, valid in the States for passing the BAR exam for legal practice in some states.
What is the added value?
You can watch a video testimonial from a UniTrento student in the useful links.
What are the professional outlets?
At the end of the study path foreseen by the TLP program the student will obtain a double degree: master's degree in Law from the University of Trento and LL.M. at WUSTL.
The LL.M. is a title appreciated in the legal professions market and by Italian and foreign employers, as, among other things, it proves that a student has been able to complete a course of study in legal subjects completely in English in a law school in the United States of America.
The LL.M., if obtained according to the methods indicated each year by WUSTL (in particular with reference to the inclusion in the study plan of specific compulsory courses and the obtaining of a specific number of credits), will allow to take the Bar Exam and therefore, potentially, to practice law in some American states including New York and California, in compliance with the criteria established in each state (see the BAR admission guide in the Useful Links).
To date, the TLP track has been completed by more than 50 students, 9 of whom have taken the Bar Exam in New York State.
What are the requirements at the time of application at WUSTL?
- all 6 fundamental 1st year's exams passed
- valid IELTS or TOEFL English international certification (dating back for no more than 2 years)
conclude the admission process to WUSTL by the deadline indicated by the American partners (usually the month of May prior to mobility), which involves sending the following documentation:
1. English language certification (TOEFL or IELTS)
2. two Letters of Recommendation from UniTrento professors
3. Transcript of records (in English) of the exams taken and to be taken
Once formally admitted by WUSTL, the student will receive the admission package with all the necessary information and, as soon as the willingness to take part in the program is confirmed, the I-20 form for the student visa application will be sent.
In order to obtain the visa, it will be necessary to show the Financial Certification, a form to be filled in with the help of a sponsor or family members in order to prove the support necessary for a year of study at WUSTL.
Please note that complete information and updates are to be checked on UniTrento call for applications and on the partner website.
Lenght of the mobility
An ad hoc study plan (Learning agreement) for each student must be agreed and approved in advance by both institutions and sent to the host university before the mobility within the month of April of each year.
At the end of the mobility at WUSTL: return to UniTrento, completion of the once-cycle degree and thesis defense.
Fees and scholarships
A discount on registration fees is reserved to UniTrento students. 24.000 USD/year instead of 67.000 USD are to be paid to WUSTL.
In addition to this, the student can count on the UniTrento scholarship.
- by UniTrento: Laurea Magistrale a ciclo unico in Giurisprudenza
- U.S. Law LL.M., or- Intellectual property and Technology Law LL.M., or- LL.M. with a concentration in Negotiation and Dispute Resolution, or- General LL.M. (with the opportunity of customizing the path).