Instructor: José Ramón Canedo Arrillaga
Class hours: 10
The crash course ‘Legal Foundations’ is designed to introduce students into the legal system of the European Union.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Describe and explain how legal norms are produced at a supranational level
- Analyse the interplay between the different levels (National, Regional and International) of production and application of legal norms.
- Distinguish the different sources of EU Law
- Understand the role of the Court of Justice in the EU’s architecture and explain how EU Law is applied at national level.
- Understand the meaning of market failures and regulatory failures, and detect and analyse main examples of the two.
The course includes two interactive lectures. Students are required to engage with selected reading materials and to discuss guiding questions in class.
Preparatory readings will be provided by the Lecturer.