Instructor: Jayne Dawn Tomlins, jaynedawn.tomlins [at] unitn.it
Class hours: 50, 6 extra credits
On completition of the course the student will be able to:
- Independently research, organize and write a clear, concise and cohesive academic text relating to economics, respecting academic conventions.
- Prepare and give an effective oral presentation using C1 level English according to the CEFR.
CEFR B2 / IELTS 6.5 minimum
- Introduction to extended writing and research: style /types of project/ task analysis
- Language of analysis and evaluation
- Vocabulary skills
- Academic writing : hedging, emphasis, using evidence to support your ideas /summary writing and paraphrasing. / writing a bibliography.
- Structuring your writing following academic conventions/developing a stance : writing a thesis statement etc. /choosing sources
- Developing your writing: paraphrasing,/choosing a topic/establishing a title.
- Organization: Features of an introduction and conclusion/index/abstract
- Cohesion and flow in writing.
- Incorporating data and illustrations
- Preparing for conference presentations: editing your slides.
Mainly interactive with cooperative task-based work such as critical thinking, peer correction and presentation groups which activate language skills and autonomy in learning. Individual work and consolidation required for the development of effective writing skills.
Verification of learning
A 3-hour written test and a powerpoint oral presentation.
The written test: Summary and Response Paper- 400 words (25%) This is a concise paraphrase of all the main ideas in an essay and a critique or evaluation. Part Two is a Long Essay (50%)on a subject of particular interest to the student in the field of Economics and Management (500-600 words).This will be researched and planned before the test.
Individual powerpoint oral presentation (25%), prepared during the course and given at the end.
The final result will be graded but this mark will not be taken into consideration in the final degree average.
The course book will be put on COMUNITA ONLINE before the beginning of the course.
The language of communication in the classroom will be English.