International opportunities for students

Which course?

You can apply to the Double Degree Programme with UniTrento for the following master's degree course:
  • Civil Engineering - Department of Civil, Environmental and Mechanical Engineering​

Who can apply?

You can apply to the Double Degree Programme (DDP) with UniTrento if you:
  • are enrolled in the 1st year of the Master of Science in "Civil Engineering" (mobility takes place during your 2nd year);
  • have earned at least 25 Chinese credits before the mobility
  • have a B2 level in English language of the Common European Framework (to be proved with a TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent certification. In absence of official certification, you should pass a specific examination in English provided by your home Institution
  • have a A2 level in Italian language. In case the level cannot be certified before the mobility, you have to take an A2 Italian exam by the end of your mobility at UniTrento (Italian courses are provided by UniTrento Linguistic Centre (CLA) without any charge up to the level required (see Useful links for all language courses provided). However, it is strongly recommended that students arrive in Trento with at least basic Italian knowledge.

What is the added value?

In Italy and abroad, a double degree is always an added value. Not only the experts say it, you just have to browse through the job offers to realize that companies and organizations are looking for international and open-minded profiles, able to work in multicultural teams and to face ever new global challenges: these are the engineers of the future.

How long is the mobility?

The mobility lasts 3 semesters

Specific requirements and study plan

By the end of your mobility at UniTrento you are required to:

  • earn at least 90 ECTS at UniTrento, of which:

- no less than 66 of core courses in the field of civil engineering
- no less than 12 ECTS of complementary courses
- no less than 9 ECTS of elective courses
- no less than 3 ECTS for other activities (such as language courses, internships, seminars). 

Part of these ECTS can be transferred from the Home University, including from the 4-year bachelor's degree, provided the courses cover the academic disciplines requested by the Master's degree course regulations ("Ordinamento degli Studi"). 
For the purpose of credit transfer, 1 Chinese credit equals 1,8 ECTS credits.

The academic disciplines that are requested to meet the master's degree regulations are detailed in the Study Plan template in the downloads;

  • finish your studies at UniTrento no later than the end of the 7th semester
  • ​pass an A2 Italian language exam by the end of your mobility, should this admission requirement not be met at the time of application. Italian courses are provided by UniTrento Linguistic Centre (CLA) without any charge up to the level required.

In which language?

​Courses are in Italian and in English.
The courses offered in the master's in Civil Engineering are in Italian.
Course material can be provided in English and exams can be done in English. 
Students may integrate the study plan with courses in English offered by the doctoral school in Civil, Environmental and Mechanical Engineering.

How does the conversion of grades take place?

The conversion takes place on the basis of the conversion table available in the downloads.


The credits associated with the defense of the master thesis are to be considered in addition to the 90 ECTS detailed in the Specific requirements section. 
The final thesis shall be co-supervised by an academic tutor of both institutions and written and defended at the host institution unless otherwise agreed by both parties. 
The dissertation shall be written in both English and Chinese, and it will be defended in English; it will include an abstract of maximum of 3.000 words in Italian.
The thesis committee preferably includes a member from the partner institution who can join the committee also through a conference call, video conferences.

Tuition fees

Students participating in the double degree program pay the tuition fees exclusively at Tongji except for 3 revenue stamps of 16 euros each.

Educational qualification

At the end of the double degree course, students obtain two separate second cycle degree diplomas:
  • Master's Degree in Civil Engineering from UniTrento
  • ​Master's Degree in Civil Engineering from Tongj​i