International opportunities for students


Students willing to study in Italy need to be covered by health insurance.
There are different types of health insurance policies  according to the student's citizenship (EU or non-EU student).

Accident and third party liability policy insurance

The University of Trento provides a general (and not medical) insurance coverage to its students, only in the case of hospitalization due to accidents occurred during academic activities. It also provides coverage for injuries suffered by the students, for which the University is responsible. The insurance also covers damages that students may cause to other people, things or animals at the University of Trento. Please notice that this coverage is not enough for your stay in Trento. For more information about the different kinds of health insurance, check the information provided according to your profile.

European Health Insurance

Make sure to take your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you or S1 Form (formerly E 106, E 109 and E 121).

What is the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

A free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 28 EU countries plus Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

Where can you get it?

Cards are issued by your national health insurance provider.

What should you do in case you need a doctor in Trento?

If you have a EHI card, you can contact one of the English speaking general doctors in Trento/Rovereto (a list is available in the download box). Book an appointment asking for a "Visita Ambulatoriale" (or for a "Visita Domiciliare" if you need the doctor to come to your place). You have to pay 15 euros if you go to the doctor's, or pay 25 euros if you ask the doctor to come to your place. Ask the doctor to issue an invoice: it might be refunded by the Health Board in your home country.

If you change your residence to the Province of Trento and the authority in charge in your home country has provided you with a "Modulo E106" (E106 Form), the costs of the services you benefitted from will be charged to the authority indicated in the form.

Remember in any case to bring the EHI card with you every time you need any medical treatment.

Specific info only for European PhD students with doctoral grant

If you are a UniTrento European PhD student with a doctoral grant, you can enrol in the Italian National Health Service (NHS) provided that you meet all the following requirements:

- you have been a permanent resident in Provincia di Trento for at least 1 year
- you are entitled to no medical coverage from your home country
- you are assigned a doctoral grant


Private Health Insurance

In case you do not have European Health Insurance you have to buy a private insurance. Remember that you are not allowed to enroll in the Italian Health Service.


The following websites are simple suggestions.


112 is the common emergency telephone number (free of charge) for emergency services (ambulance, fire and rescue, police) valid for the European Union countries. The call centre will be available 24 hours a day with a simultaneous translation service in 14 languages.