The Start-Up Lab (SUL) is a hands-on interdepartmental Lab on Innovation and Entrepreneurship (I&E) an counts as one of the main pillars of the CLab of the University of Trento.
SUL is an innovative learning experience focused on customer centric creativity, idea generation, business idea optimization and pitching. It is finalized to develop innovative products/services which can, eventually, turn into a start-up. Students are constantly mentored by professionals and entrepreneurs. They pitch in front of an international jury during the SUL Demoday
How does it work?
Find more information on CLab Trento!
The objective of the Lab is to stimulate students to develop an entrepreneurial approach to problems and the ability to search creatively and effectively for innovative solutions that suit customer needs. SUL can be the first step to become a successful startupper, or alternatively provide crucial soft skills to become a brilliant manager of well-established SMEs or multinationals: in both cases, problem solving through creativity and innovation are the way to success.
Students who apply for SUL are selected basing on the online application submitted by the deadline. Skills as well as enthusiasm are crucial to be selected.
Students can access with or without a business idea. After the session of “idea trading” students form group that work around the selected business ideas for the entire duration of the SUL. Students are free to group together according to the "diversity criterion", i.e. they should have different backgrounds and nationality. Gender diversity is much appreciated, too.
The final prize: VT Challenge in Virginia, USA
The winning group will be supported by the University of Trento (or the Departments where winning students are affiliated) to participate in the Virginia Tech Business Challenge in Virginia, USA. This is a great opportunity to compete with business students from all over the world, meet international companies and get a feedback from experienced business men about the business proposals.
Past teams from Trento won the first prize of $25,000 cash in 2014 (the FeelSpace team with their navigation belt for blind people) and the third prize of $5,000 cash in 2013 with the team GraphInsight. Check the "SUL Winners" for details!
SUL learning is partially delivered with the blended MOOC method. I.e.: students see a 15min video before class introducing one concept. Participants will discuss such concept during the interactive lesson and will immediately apply it on their own project. 24 hours of teamwork and dedicated mentoring will complement the learning experience.
- Lead Coaches: Alessandro Rossi, alessandro.rossi [at] unitn.it; Vittorino Filippas, vittorino.filippas [at] unitn.it
- When: Spring semester. Classes are usually every Tuesday evening, from 18.00 to 21.00 until the end of May
- Where: CLab Trento - P.zza Fiera 4, 38122 - Trento c/o Istituto Artigianelli
- How to participate: submit the online application according to the deadline (usually end of January)
- Teaching language: English
- Open to: Master Students, PhDs, Post-Doc, Researchers. Applications from non-students (workers) can be considered.
- Duration: 48 hours interactive lessons
- Credits: 8 ECTS
- Past editions: Past SUL Winners
- Videos: Life of a Project & Introduction to Start Up Lab
- Contacts: clabtrento [at] unitn.it (CLab Trento)
- Website: Start-up Lab